EZI-65-UNBROKEN-J Motor2015-08-08 15:29:00Z
Excellent 2nd launch - this time with a J285 - all worked very well. It was nice to have the EZI flying again!
Things that went not quite right:
- For first launch, I put too much powder (purposely) in the nose and ended up getting a 5/8 inch zipper in the nose. The reason? 0.3 grams of black powder just seems so little- but I should have stuck with it.
- Due to lack of padding (ran out of time - redesigned the whole thing two days b4 launching to solve RF issue! ) in the bay and everything being friction fit : I'm not sure if I did this when packing it or when it landing, but the brass fitting on one of the rails to the sled snapped loose (it's so tight in there - there was no place for for the sled to go, even with that condition). I used some of my 5 minute epoxy on it to glue it back on so I could fly it again and adjusted things slighty. I definitely need to get padding in there like my other bays - makes a huge difference when there's a lot of stuff.
Things that went well:
- The radio for telemetry was AWESOME. It was crisp, clear, and it was great hearing peak AGL live, descent rate, GPS position, etc. I simply punched the GPS right from the radio into my garmin and it took us right to it thru the tall grass. It was great hearing the altitude so we could try to visually see it - 8000 feet, 5000 feet. I still didn't find it until main came out, but not a long walk at all!!
- For the second launch, I wrapped the zippered area with 1 inch masking tape twice - it wasn't very big. For the second launch I used 0.3 grams, as I should have first launch. the tape was undamaged.
- I launched that bird twice - not bad for not even getting started until close to noon due to low cloud cover in the morning!
- The alignment for the motor to the rocket seems flawless - Eric has a picture that shows the smoke trail. The only deviation I see is from wind.
- All charges, main and backup, fired perfectly - both launches.
- Eric's launch was AWESOME!!!
- The weather turned out great, but sweltering hot. Like Freddy, I have a headache now.
Thanks everyone for the excellent still shots!!!
Thea: Thea Mathen
Eric: Eric Zscolczai
Freddy: Freddy Willems