| || |
EZI-65-Counter spin test2016-05-14 14:03:00Z
Since the CATO, this rocket has had a spin to it. To compensate, originally I had two pieces of tape stacked on top of each-other on the bottom of the fins. In a previous launch, the second piece of tape started peeling around max velocity and cause a crazy spin in doing so.
This time I only had one piece of tape on the back of each fin so it would stick better. I placed the tape counter to the spin direction. Two pieces of tape is exactly what was needed but the spin was greatly reduced even with one piece. Now that I know the amount to build up the back of the fins, I will remove the tape and make a more permanent solution.
First test of Android version. I spent many hours after work building the newest Android version, so much so I didn't have time to modify the bay to accommodate it until Friday night! Due to that, I had to do additional in-field mods to get the phone to fit properly with radio, etc. This took hours on the field of cutting my foam to exact shape, testing & retesting fit. I didn't want to cut too much off and I needed to learn the best way to rig the wiring to the GRMS radio.
The battery on the test phone was draining fast, I think bluetooth may drain the battery faster so I'll try not to use it next time. Update 2017-05-15: The battery on the phone was bad, once I replaced it, the phone works with much less heat and lasts longer. My code was also too sensitive to barometer changes and thought small changes in pressure were launches. This caused it to constantly upload data to both youtube and insanerocketry, further draining the battery and generating heat.
By the time the rocket launched at 12:20, the temperature in the bay was 116.2 degrees Fahrenheit (computer 2, closest to phone battery)! I can't imagine how hot the phone was.
Due to the rush to launch from the draining battery, I didn't acquire link to pre-record video prior to launch. This ended up being a good thing as video capture chews up CPU and generates tons of heat. 5 seconds after starting video, the phone overheated and shut down. Had I started a pre-record capture, I would have gotten only footage on the ground prior to launch.
Lastly, I misaligned the camera since it was a rush job on the field. No worries, I'll have it cleaned up for the next launch.
Most of the equipment shut down from heat 7 seconds into launch including the barometer. Last read from barometer was 1047M, 3435 feet.
Video/Photos overheated and failed around 3000 feet.