vlcsnap-2018-02-11-13h42m57s981.png
Likes Like
RocketEZI-65
Launches1
Flight StatusSuccess
Event
12819346_1676043962655050_8399626081723244666_o.jpgNEFAR-TRA Research Launch 2018-02-10
Altitude8389 ft
2556.97m
Expected9000 ft
2743.20m
Velocity583 MPH
938.63km/h
Wind Speed15.0MPH
24.15km/h
S 180°
Weight6.00lb.
2.72kg
StageMotor
1 K270

Dual Deployment Test Launch

2018-02-10 16:49:07Z

Insane Rocketry

Likefileicon launch180210_114612_963.csv

Description

Strong wind but nice skies. I went for it and launched. The rocket landed upwind about a mile, too much tilt on rail. That said, it was a beautiful launch.

All charges fired. Analysis looks like dual deployment code worked - drogue delayed (not sure by how much - yet), main right on mark. I now have a lot of data to review.

Added this to the main description, but put it as a comment so you see the update.

Summary:

Drogue deployment was delayed and fired within a tenth of a second of backup deployment (about 2 seconds late total). This was caused by me forgetting about the new Android power management sleep cycle. I have corrected my code so it will work properly next time.

When drogue deployed, it got stuck on a tail fin. This caused a high speed but stable descent between 100 to 114 mph.

During descent, the drogue freed itself, causing a temporary spike in velocity as it flipped around in free-fall before drogue inflated. This triggered my emergency curved max velocity based on altitude to act and deploy main at 2000 feet.

Overall, for a first flight, the results are promising. I should have caught the android power management issue with drogue during testing.

I have added additional sanity checks to my code as well, to reduce the chances of early deployment from odd atmospheric conditions.

Hopefully I'm able to test the updated version of my software at SRA this month, provided the weather cooperates.

 

Comments

frewi80
Like 2018-02-12 17:12:29Z

Good to see that it landed nice in an open field...

esotericdude
Like 2018-02-26 23:34:57Z

Hope to do analysis this weekend.

esotericdude
Like 2018-03-04 14:51:22Z

Added this to the main description, but put it as a comment so you see the update.

Summary:

Drogue deployment was delayed and fired within a tenth of a second of backup deployment (about 2 seconds late total). This was caused by me forgetting about the new Android power management sleep cycle. I have corrected my code so it will work properly next time.

When drogue deployed, it got stuck on a tail fin. This caused a high speed but stable descent between 100 to 114 mph.

During descent, the drogue freed itself, causing a temporary spike in velocity as it flipped around in free-fall before drogue inflated. This triggered my emergency curved max velocity based on altitude to act and deploy main at 2000 feet.

Overall, for a first flight, the results are promising. I should have caught the android power management issue with drogue during testing.

I have added additional sanity checks to my code as well, to reduce the chances of early deployment from odd atmospheric conditions.

Hopefully I'm able to test the updated version of my software at SRA this month, provided the weather cooperates.


Video


Like

Images

E1A5BE80-3638-490E-8406-39AF7295EBAF.jpeg
Like
B6894DBE-AE03-465C-81A0-A164CAF2A587.jpeg
Like
C9B19F2A-C780-41C2-BD39-203D52E1F063.jpeg
Like
DD294813-D20E-47FC-9CC7-AAB493B9D661.jpeg
Like
7577D90E-D3EE-4D2C-A152-FC1CE33F6BF7.jpeg
Like
7B45ACE4-E733-4581-A636-74E9D87A3E15.jpeg
Like
vlcsnap-2018-02-11-13h42m57s981.png
Like
drogue.png
Like
drogue2.png
Like
main.png
Like
main2.png
Like
vlcsnap-2018-02-26-22h25m05s285.png
Like
fastdescent.png
Like