|Location||KANSAS - Argonia|
|Velocity Exp.||1615 MPH|
PROJECT X - SECOND FLIGHT - A - NO GO2021-09-02 19:30:00Z
Rocket is still in the making, will be ready for a test flight soon and will take it to KANSAS for the Cloud busters/ AIRFEST in September.
Update 03/24/2021 - Have also the location saved. So I can start booking hotels. This trip will also include Memphis, Tennessee, for a short vacation with wife. Hope to see Tim, Deep, Clayton and possible Gary and/or Jason Cook.
Update 03/27/2021 - Tim gave me another route to AIRFEST in Kansas to avoid Atlanta, smart move Tim.Longleaf Pine Pkwy, St Johns, FL 32259 to Milan, Kansas 67105 - Google Maps -https://goo.gl/maps/mJ6Yzi9EVnxReCQu8
Update 03/29/2021 - AIRFEST 2020 video's - https://youtu.be/pgZIjKBMuDY
Update 03/29/2021 - AIRFEST 2019 video's -https://youtu.be/41kuwKvkBJM
Update 03/30/2021 - Reservations made for on route to Kansas In Anthony Ks (Cobble Stone Hotel) September 01/2021 and also Memphis Tn. (Quality Inn - Southaven) September 02/03/04 check out 05/2021.
Update 04/01/2021 - Started making a platform for the car to transport the rocket and all the stuff I might need, and saving room for our luggage.
Update 04/04/2021 - Started looking around for a Cargo box for the car, But must be at least 62" long to fit the rocket (Inside that is), they are very expensive. But just want to investigate that for sure.
Update 04/24/2021 - Got my reservation in Kansas CobbleStone Inn and Suited confirmed !! Memphis Tn is already booked solid also. Just a booking for out 3 day stay in Memphis on the way back.
Update 05/18/2021 - Modifying the Open rocket sim for filing my paperwork for AIRFEST. Making sure I have all the diagrams and technical information ready.
Update 05/20/2021 - My flight is approved -Freddy, This flight is approved for flight at AirFest.Best regards,Bob Brown
Update 07/20/2021 - Bernie did not have my casing and M motor yet at the July Launch. I will text and contact him again so he can have it ready at the 3 weekend launch in August. If he does not have it than I might cancel this trip. Also the Car Cargo box is cancelled... Shipping was set in September AFTER the launch !!! Dam people !
Update 08/07/2021 - Finally Bernie texted me that he will have the motor and casing on the 3de weekend of August, SRA launch day, was already planning to cancel the whole trip.. But there is still hope.
Update 08/11/2021 - Got another text from Bernie today saying that he pulled a lot of strings to expedite the motor, it is casted a few days ago, so it will cure on the truck to ABF Jacksonville. Really did that take 4 or more months to get that done ??!!
Update 08/15/2021 - Working on my checklist for items to bring, have already my rocket stuff items lined up in the garage, and also all the electronic stuff and chargers. My item list of things to bring is under a separate chapter here.
Update 08/16/2021 - Checking the video camera's, all still working after 30 min, they are good to go, will have two inside the booster and one in the AvBay and one on the ground.....It's gonna be mad..
Update 08/17/2021 - Bernie texted that my stuff arrived Casing and motor $975..... Check for Bernie at the SRA launch day next weekend. Also today I packed all my small rocket stuff in one of my boxes, it's not much because the rocket will be fully prepped anyway.. Hotel locations and Rocket launch are all saved in the Phone GPS.
Update 08/19/2021 - Bernie will look into the right glue to use to bond the grains in the casing. I suggested Gorilla glue, but he was not so sure. He will ask CTI and will txt me back.
Update 08/21/2021 - Got all my stuff from Bernie at the SRA Launch yesterday. Casing and motor and stuff, he even got me the gorilla glue and extra's. Will look into that how to apply correctly. It seems all to fit in there, motor, streamer camera and AvBay. RTX will be in the nose cone.
Update 08/22/2021 - Did some modification on the Sled, so that the wires pass thru better with no obstruction. Did a dry run and also the switches on/off and it works great as long I use a long flat screwdriver. Also made the top part of the AvBay more snug by replacing the masking tape and put a new one.
Update 08/24/2021 - Stratologgers tested today, seems all good to Go, Tim will have his RTX with him as a nice back up, mine is reliable but just in case. Thanks Tim.
Update 08/25/2021 - Ok, just packed my main chute in the upper bay, just want to see how that chute fits in there, had to make longer folds because it's a 3" diameter bay, and it fits great with the chute protector. Also made z-ties up 1 and down 2 on the main chock cord... But today they announced that Kansas and Memphis have a high alert heat wave going on and also the covid-19 is a rising concern that keep us awake for now. So waiting till Sunday for final GO decision. Sad real sad about it for now...
Update 08/26/2021 - Did a dry fit again from the booster this time, motor casing, streamer and z-ties, it all fits in there, a bit tight, but the charge will blow it all out. Also connected the charges on Main and Drogue part.
Update 08/29/2021 - Today I did another run on the checklist, also assembled the motor and took some pictures and video. Tomorrow I slide the motor inti the casing and close it off with closures and tape. Did already opened the motor box and started installingthe grains in the liner, everything was pretty straight forward as per instructions, did thisbefore, the only difference was glue-ing the grains in the liner separated with spacer rings. It was a bit very messy but all went ok. Closed that up and let it dry for a while.
Update 08/29/2021 - Loaded the liner in the casing, by doing that I noticed that the two bottom grains were moving around so I took them out and re glued them with more glue in !! Dam ! Installed the forward and top closure with those O rings on the outside. Done, greased the liner and slide it in the casing. Was a bit tight in there but it went ok !! Screwed those forward and top closures on, done. They are in tight, the aft closure has a 1/8" spacing the forward is flush. All is taped up nd ready for transport.
Update 08/30/2021 - Going over my checklist like crazy.... All checked ! Loading car tomorrow after work.
Update 09/01/2021 - Started off early this morning, up at 4 AM and out at 5 AM, drive went smooth, not much traffic, a few slow downs in the Atlanta area and some work area's, all open roads all the way till Memphis, we took out time to eat breakfast and lunch so that ads on a few more hours, Smooth day a bit tired no pain in legs or so... Will continue tomorrow to Kansas. We had a few short rain storms, but it was sunny most of the day.
Update 09/02/2021 - Up early like 5 AM taking shower and get our breakfast in the hotel lobby. Not much but enough. Driving out of Memphis went smooth, really not much traffic, going Tulsa and Little Rock, taking the turnpike almost to the hotel. Saved a lot of time. The road #160 from the I35 to the hotel took one hour ! Long drive in the fields and boonies. But so far all good. Met Tim the very first second, was picking up food from the food truck, he was tired. Started charging all my electronics in the hotel room. Also loaded the motor casing into the rocket booster in the car. Connected the charges on the AvBay in the hotel room, RTX units charged, all camera's and phones. Forecast for tomorrow looks like rain in the morning but great for the rest of the day. Clayton and Deep's plane lands in Wichita around 10:30 PM tonight... Don't know how they gonna meet Tim for their stuff. Again driving was excellent, nice overall weather in the mid 90' and no rain or slowdowns.
Update 09/03/2021 - LAUNCH DAY 1 - Very rainy morning, driving on the field where you have to park your car was a bit tricky at some places, it dried out for a few minutes and then there was some rain again, this rain took place most of the whole morning with some small openings in the clouds... At those times some people launched a few rockets, waver at that time was only 6 - 8 K.... I did see like 8 rocket launches during that time frame till 3 PM, then a new rain storm come over, so I left. I did helped Clayton out with his M motor. He was there with some friends but left as soon as the motor was installed in the casing. He will probably come back the next few days, he stays in Wichita with some friends. Did run into Buddy Rocketman (chutes)Michaelson, actually a very nice and helpful guy. I also did prepped my rocket and Florence took some pictures, But I waited for the last critical prepping part till the rain should stop sometimes later that day. Well I left at 3 PM did not want to launch when raining or recovering late that day.... the roads were really wet by now and muddy, car was all mudded up. But according Tim, the sky opened and some one did launch an M motor, do not know the altitude.. But maybe I missed my only launch chance !! Will see what tomorrow Saturday brings, for now there is more rain in the forecast. Did not see Mike West or even Jim Burgess, they supposed to be there also. Everything looks incredible good organized and space for all to move or drive around, but there was only one food vender.
Update 09/04/2021 - LAUNCH DAY 2 - It rained real hard last night and the field is real muddy. Some cars got stuck in the mud. It was still raining in the morning of and on and the cloud cover stayed low with no blue skies. So I left again around 1 PM and took a trip with Florence to Pawhuska - The pioneer woman town. But according Tim, that late afternoon the skies cleared a bit and they launched a few rocket again.
Update 09/05/2021 - We are traveling to Memphis, I missed my Launch Window but did not feel bad about it, Field was way to muddy and recovery would be difficult.. The two days after we left were great and people launched to 30 K +....
Update 09/10/2021 - Total miles = 3.345 Miles !!!!
Update 09/13/2021 - Jason gave me a great link to launch to 55 K in Texas -http://www.potrocs.org/